- Personally Identifiable and Other Information Collected by Us
- How We Use and Share Your Personally Identifiable Information
- Opting-Out and Cancellations of Communications from Weather Group
- Children’s Privacy
- International Transfer
- Rights for California Residents Under the California Consumer Privacy Act
- Security and Account Access
2. Personally Identifiable and Other Information Collected by Us
In order to maximize your experience and to provide you with enhanced products and services, WGT may collect personally identifiable information ("PII") from you, including your name, e-mail address, password, zip code, and content preferences. For example, we collect PII when you sign up for our Services; complete a survey; register for a promotion, contest or sweepstakes; send us an e-mail message or complete an inquiry form to receive additional information; report weather or other conditions; submit information about yourself (e.g., your gender, age, age range, address, birthday); view content on the Services; customize the Services; request alerts or notifications; report locations; make a purchase from us; or authenticate your account with a cable, satellite or IP delivered content provider.
Location Information. In certain instances in our Services, for localized Services, an alert will provided to you so you will be able to input specific location information in order for us to bring up the content for that location. To offer you certain localized Services, provide advertisements based on your physical geographic location, and engage in the other uses described below, we use your physical geographic location using GPS, cellular network location-based services on your device, IP address, and/or browser services. We may also collect and record the locations you visit or report on your device if you use our applications or Sites. Such information may also be stored on your device. You may at any time discontinue these geolocation Services by deleting the application or ceasing use of our Site. You may also discontinue certain geolocation Services using GPS by changing the settings on your device. Turning location services off in your device settings may also disable certain Services in the application, including alerts and video content.
Alerts and Notifications. In certain of our Services, you have the ability to receive push notifications for updates, alerts, and notifications. To provide these Services, we may need to collect your email address, phone number, and mobile carrier information, in addition to collecting your zip code, physical geographic location and locations you have reported on your device, to determine the location(s) to which the alert, update or notification pertains. If you no longer wish to receive these types of updates, alerts, and notifications, you may opt-out of updates, alerts, and notifications by turning them off within the settings of your mobile device. You may also change alert settings within the settings page of the application.
3. How We Use and Share Your Personally Identifiable Information
One of the most valuable assets of our business is you. Except as described below WG does not rent, sell or share PII about you with other people or non-affiliated companies.
A. Weather Group and its Affiliates
We use information and disclose information to third parties, including your physical geographic location, to provide, analyze, administer, enhance and personalize our Services and marketing efforts, to process your registration, your orders and your payments, to help fulfill your requests, and to communicate with you on these and other topics. For example, we use information to provide you with customized and personalized viewing recommendations for content we think will be of interest to you, service your account, conduct a transaction or provide a Service that you have requested, display information and advertisements that we believe match your interests and profile, facilitate updates to the Services, provide support, improve the working of the Services, determine if you are eligible for a trial offering of a Service, authenticate your subscription with your cable, satellite or IP delivered content provider, compile statistics about our users and your use of the Services, determine your Internet service provider, help us quickly and efficiently respond to inquiries and requests, prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, and enforce our terms (such as determining free trial eligibility). We use information to communicate with you concerning our Services (for example by email, push notifications, text messaging, and online messaging channels), so that we can send you news about our Services, details about new features and content available on the Services, and to assist you with operational requests such as technical service queries and password reset requests. We may combine information about you with information obtained from other sources. These sources may include service providers that help us determine location based on your IP address; online and offline data providers, from which we obtain demographic, interest based and online advertising related data; publicly-available sources; and partners that help market to you products or services that may be of interest to you.
At various points, we may provide you with special offers from WGT and WGT Affiliates and may use your information to inform you of other products or services available from WGT and WGT Affiliates. These products may include, for example, schedules for special programs on The Weather Channel? cable network or Local Now application. We may offer joint promotions or programs that, in order for your participation, will require us to share your information with third parties. We would not share your information with a third party related to a joint promotion or program, unless you agreed to participate. In fulfilling these types of promotions, we may share your name and other information in connection with fulfilling the incentive. Please note that these third parties are responsible for their own privacy practices, which we would share with you before choosing to participate.
B. Third-Party Processors
When your information is collected on the Services, it may be collected directly by or shared with selected third parties in connection with the operation of the Services or the provision of Services to you ("Third-Party Processors"). These Third-Party Processors may include, for example, companies that process credit card information or handle shipping for WGT, deliver materials to you via e-mail or postal service, organize, administer, process, or provide advertising services, authenticate your subscription with your cable, satellite or IP delivered content provider, provide IT services, provide marketing and/or communication services, provide customer service, analyze and enhance data, process and administer surveys, provide support, assist with system crashes, help diagnose problems, and/or analyze data on our behalf to help us provide more relevant offers and advertising to you and to eliminate the delivery of duplicate offers as well as correcting and/or updating users' data based on information we provide them. Third-Party Processors are authorized to use your information that we provide to them only to carry out the service they are providing for WGT. We require that the Third-Party Processors securely store the PII we provide to them and maintain it so that it can be accessed when needed for future purposes, and all such Third-Party Processors are contractually bound by us to keep the PII confidential.
C. Other Web Sites, Other Services, Plug-Ins and Links
D. Use by Us of IP Addresses, Cookies, Web Beacons, Single-pixel Gifs, and Information Saved by Other Technologies
WGT and Third-Party Processors acting on our behalf use various Internet technologies which help us to manage the operations of our Services and track your usage behavior so that we can tailor information and advertisements to make your visits more enjoyable and meaningful. These Internet technologies include:
- IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a computer by the Internet service provider whenever the computer is connected to the Internet. Web servers, the computers that deliver web pages, automatically identify a computer by its IP address, and when a page is requested from a website, its servers log the IP address of the computer requesting the page.
- Cookies: Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognizes that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize a user's device. You can find more information about cookies at: ?www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Beacons and single-pixel Gifs: Beacons are electronic tags. Certain pages on our sites contain web beacons (also known as Internet tags, pixel tags and clear GIFs). A pixel tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel (1x1), which is ordinarily not visible to users and may be associated with cookies on users' hard drives. These pixel tags collect anonymous data. These web beacons allow third parties to obtain information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies sent by the third party.
- Local Shared Objects: Local Shared Objects are storage within your browser on your electronic device. In addition to the above cookies, we use Local Shared Objects such as HTML5 LocalStorage on our Sites. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content on our Sites. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Like other cookies, they can only access PII that you have provided on the Sites and cannot be accessed by other websites. For more information and to find out how to disable them, you can consult the information provided at?http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/526/52697ee8.html.
Your browser, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, may allow you to manage your cookies and Local Shared Objects such as HTML5 LocalStorage. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser’s help feature that will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, and how to disable existing cookies, as well as your options regarding other technologies identified in this section. Please note, however, that without cookies and the other technologies our Sites may not function properly. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/. Disabling cookies is device specific and may not work on all devices. At this time, we do not respond to web browser "do not track" signals.
WGT contracts with certain Third-Party Processors to track, analyze and report data about the usage of our Services using these Internet technologies. These Third-Party Processors include Adobe and its Adobe Analytics product. To obtain information about the privacy and security practices of Adobe and your options to set your Adobe preferences, use the following link: http://www.adobe.com/privacy.html.
F. Purchase or Sale of Businesses?
WGT continually looks for ways to improve our business, including purchasing or selling all or part of a business or company. If we buy or sell a business, PII and non-personal information will likely be transferred as part of the sale. If we buy a business, we will honor the requests of that business's former customers regarding their PII.
G. Other Limitations on Privacy?
4. Opting-Out and Cancellations of Communications from Weather Group
To ensure we have your consent, we make sure that each e-mail sent to you by WGT presents the additional opportunity to opt-out of receiving future e-mails. If you no longer wish to receive certain communications from us via e-mail or text message, click the 'unsubscribe' link in the e-mail or reply STOP (or as otherwise instructed) to the text message. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from Service-related correspondence from us, such as messages relating to your account transactions.
You can choose to receive mobile push notifications. If you subsequently decide you no longer wish to receive these notifications, you can use your mobile device's settings to turn them off.
5. Children's Privacy
WGT is committed to protecting the safety and privacy of young people using the Internet. You must be 18 years or older to subscribe to the Services. Anyone under the age of 18 may only use the Services with his or her parent’s or guardian’s permission and supervision. We do not knowingly collect PII from children under the age of 18. The Services may contain links to third-party websites and other services geared to children. The linked sites and services are not under the control of WGT. We are not responsible for the content of any linked site or service or any link contained in a linked site or service, nor are we responsible for the privacy practices of the operators of those sites or services with respect to children. We strongly encourage parents and guardians to review the privacy policies of all linked sites and services.
6. International Transfer
WGT is headquartered in the United States and the Services are intended for users in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect (including cookies) will be processed and stored outside the European Union, in jurisdictions in which the data protection and privacy laws may not offer the same level of protection as those in the country where you reside or are a citizen. By using our Services or providing information to us, you consent to the transfer to and processing of the information in the United States and other jurisdictions outside the European Union.
7. Rights for California Residents under the California Consumer Privacy Act
In 2018 California passed the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”).
Under the CCPA California residents may be afforded certain rights regarding a business’ use of a consumer’s personal information. These rights include:
- The right to request a business disclose what categories and specific pieces of personal information have been collected by the business as well as the sources of that information;
- The right to opt out of the sale of personal information to a third party;
- The right to request deletion of personal information collected from the consumer;
- The right to know the categories of third parties with whom personal information is shared;
- The right to know the categories of information that are sold or disclosed for a business purpose to third parties;
- The right to know the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information;
- The right to reach out to a supervisory authority; and
- The right to not be discriminated against for exercising any rights under the CCPA.
A detailed list of the categories of PII that have been collected in the past 12 months, as well as the sources for those categories, can be found above in Section 2. Personally Identifiable and Other Information Collected by Us. For specific inquiries about the information collected about yourself please make a verifiable consumer request, as discussed below.
You can learn more about the business purposes for collecting PII above in Section 3. How We Use and Share Your Personally Identifiable Information. We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. A detailed explanation of the categories of information that we disclose for a business purpose can be found in Section 3. How We Use and Share Your Personally Identifiable Information above.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Distribution partners
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
In order for us to carry out a request for information, you or your authorized agent must make a verifiable consumer request. This means, if you make a request for information, you may be required to provide additional information so that we may verify your identity. In exercising your rights under the CCPA, the disclosure will cover the 12 month period preceding the request. You may only make requests to us twice in a 12-month period.
To exercise your rights under the CCPA, please submit a verifiable consumer request firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can also call our toll-free number at (877)-747-6045 to speak with one of our representatives. We will try to resolve your request within 45 days. However, in some cases, we may need to extend the response period, in which case we will provide you with written notice within 45 days.
We do not sell your personal information.
8. Security and Account Access
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures designed to protect and safeguard your data. Of course, although WGT uses standard industry practices to protect your PII, we cannot guarantee that your communications with the Services will never be unlawfully intercepted, or that your PII will never be unlawfully accessed by third parties.
In the unfortunate event that your PII is compromised, we may notify you by email (at our sole and absolute discretion) to the last email address you have provided to us in the most expedient time frame that is reasonable under the circumstances. Please note, however, that delays in notification may occur while we take necessary measures to determine the scope of the breach and restore reasonable integrity to the system, or, if notification would impede a criminal investigation, to accommodate the legitimate needs of law enforcement.
Please note that if you allow others to use your account (including others you permit to set up profiles under your account), they may be able to view information about your account or any of the profiles under your account, including information about the videos you view and your email address.
Weather Group Television, LLC
300 Interstate North Pkwy SE
Atlanta, GA 30339
ATTN: Legal Dept